Sunday, August 26, 2007

Made To Worship

"Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." Psalm 107:8-9
As we close the season of summer, I am humbled as I look back and see how the LORD has satisfied and provided for the hungry and thirsty with many good things. We hosted 19 teams in just 10 weeks, and I am left with experiences that have changed me and will stay in my heart for eternity.
I was blessed with a visit from my home church in Las Vegas, South Hills Church Community. They led a team of 8 here- this was one of the smaller teams this summer, however the amount of ministry they saw and accomplished was truly amazing, not to mention a bout with Hurricane Dean!
South Hills spent 10 days here. They arrived at our main ministry hub in Santiago and the following day we traveled five hours to the Southwest part of the country to the Bateys. The Bateys, rural sugarcane fields (you can read more about them below), also function as one of our three ministry hubs on the island of Hispaniola. The first day we arrived they completed a Children's Ministry with over 200 kids crammed in the Nutrition Center (standing room only!).


Just a corner of the room housing over 200 kids for VBS

I was moved by their simple story of Jesus' love for us, and how it is unmatched by any of our loves. They asked kids to draw pictures of things they love- I saw 200 pictures of moms, dads, sisters, brothers, the church, family, and I was reminded of how simplistic their love truly is. There were no pictures of video games or toys. South Hills went on to talk about how God's love for each one of us, is bigger than that, and then the kids pasted their pictures on a huge heart taped to the wall for everyone to see!


Art for Jesus!

They worked hard during a day and a half of construction. On the 2nd day, we had just 4 hours to move what seemed like an impossible MOUNTAIN of dirt and rock! We had no fancy equipment or machinery. Hands, wheelbarrels, and shovels... and of course John Martinez cheering everyone on. We were reminded of this verse:

"I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

With about as much faith as a mustard seed we began this tedious process of hand picking out the rocks, shoveling a bit, hand picking rocks, shoveling a bit more, wheel barrel after wheel barrel, slowly it was dwindling. Then the youth from the church, joined in to help, and G.O. Construction team was full force: we were determined!

Carissa and Lauren tackling the mountain!

You know what I am going to say next, don't you! In just 3 and 1/2 hours the mountain of dirt disapeared! I believe it was the body of Christ coming together in unity, with one common goal and vision of working together to move this big pile of dirt to build the LORD's church!


South Hills, G.O. Construction Team, and the youth of the church in Batey Nueve

We left the Bateys after four short days due to an advancing hurricane moving directly towards the Bateys! Though the Bateys were cut short, there was plenty of ministry to be had in Santiago. We visited a local church for more children's ministry.

The following day we traveled to Dajabon, Dominican Republic. Dajabon borders Haiti and is one of the largest trading towns on the border. Our third and final ministry hub is located across the border in Ounamenthe, Haiti. The object of this visit was for South Hills to meet the pastor they partner with and uplift him in prayer and with gifts for him, his family, and his church.

His name is Elonce Bernadin. Unfortunantly, circumstances prevented the meeting to happen, and Elonce was unable to cross the border that day. We are working very hard to get the gifts to him, and I would ask for you to please continually lift up our brother Elonce, and his wife, who is ill, and their 6 children (1 is adopted) in prayer.

Jackie with Elonce during a visit to Haiti in June 2007

South Hills also had the privledge of visiting a place that they had worked in the past trips, Hoyo de Bartola, also known as "The Hole," a garbage dump, inhabited by over 600 families, and a new place, La Mosca, translated as "The Fly." I was humbled as I watched God change and open the hearts of the eight members on this team.

Little boy in La Mosca

Maggie, Valarie, and kids from "The Hole"

I am very greatful for their service, and for their partnership with me, as well. Through prayer and sacraficial gifts South Hills has helped pave the way for me to answer God's call to ministry to the Haitian and Dominican brothers and sisters of Hispaniola.

Jackie and a little girl from The Hole

Thank you South Hills!! Thank you Michael, Natalie, Valarie, Cory, Manuel, Carissa, Lauren, Maggie, and the many people who sacraficed so you could come and share Christ with the island of Hispaniola!
Dios les Bendiga!

As I wrote this blog, a song came to mind and was fitting as the title to the blog:


"Made to Worship" by Chris Tomlin
Before the day
Before the light
Before the world revolved around the sun
God on high
Stepped down into time
And wrote the story of His love for everyone
He has filled our hearts with wonder
So that we always remember
You and I were made to worship
You and I are called to love
You and I are forgiven and free
When you and I embrace surrender
When you and I choose to believe
Then you and I will see who we were meant to be
All we are
And all we have
Is all a gift from God that we receive
Brought to life
We open up our eyes
To see the majesty and glory of the King
He has filled our hearts with wonder
So that we always remember
Even the rocks cry out
Even the heavens shout
At the sound of His Holy name
So let every voice sing out
Let every knee bow down
He is worthy of all our praise

Check out the short video I made about the week they spent here!


1 comment:

Lori Lebre said...

I loved your video! I am crying like a baby over here. I am coming to the D.R. on September 11th and thought this video prepared me a little for what I'll be experiencing. Keep up the great work and God bless you!