Sunday, May 27, 2007

¡Bienvenido!

I am here!! I arrived at the airport in Santiago on Friday night at 7pm! Jen who is a staff member and Hannah, the first intern to arrive this summer greeted me as I stepped outside the airport into the warm sticky air. I knew I was home. We drove about 15 minutes to the dormitory. This is where the teams stay when they are here. The conference center and office are also located here.

I am living on the bottom floor of the dormitory in an apartment with Jen, Catherine (another staff member), Hannah, and may more female interns who will be joining us this summer. On Saturday morning we had our first assignment. We needed to go to Hoya Del Bartola (the hole) to get some footage and pics. for a video we are putting together for the church who support G.O.'s work there. Tonight we will be filming part of the church service at the Hole.
Last night we had dinner at Tim and Samira's house (minus Tim!)
It is great here, and I am looking forward to putting some personal touches here that will make it feel more like my space. I am going to get a small bookshelf which we make out of lumber and cinder blocks and also some sort of table/ night stand thingy, as well as painting the room.
My prayer this summer is that as I adjust, and try to figure out what is going on that he would open my eyes everyday for someone that I can serve. I came here to serve the people and share the love of Christ with them. That is the end goal. Whether that is in kids ministry, construction, sports, or cooking with the ladies in the kitchen. I came here to serve, and I pray that I would not forget that or take my eyes off of the LORD and his desire for me to be a light in these communities. And of course that I would continue to study the language.
The single most important thing I would ask of you is to please join me in prayer. Pray for the unbelievers in the Dominican Republic and Haiti, pray for the Dominican and Haitian Christians and Pastors to be strong in the LORD and that they would be a good witness to those who don't believe, pray for the G.O. staff to be empowering to those Nationals we work with and to always looking for ways to serve the people on the Island, pray for the may teams who will be arriving to work and serve Jesus this summer that their lives would be changed and that their work would become a testimony of the LORD and that it would touch the many lives of the people here, pray for Brook, the President of G.O. Ministries for discernment and wisdom as he leads the organization.

Thank you so much for your support and prayers. Without your support- I would not be here.
¡Dios te Bendiga!
Jackie
Here are a few pics from the apartment where I am staying (I know there are no pics. of me yet... they are coming!!)


























9 comments:

Unknown said...

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! you made it!!!

Lisa's Lamppost said...

WooHoo! I can't wait to see you in like two days. I emailed Jen about picking me up I fly in on Tue. at 7pm. Just in case Jen doesn't check her email.

Dos Blessed said...

i'm so glad you are in the dr!! we miss you here in ky but i'm so excited to see all of the amazing things God is going to do through such a willing servant! we'll see you in july!!!
peace in Him-
vic, jeff, and girls

Dos Blessed said...

feliz cumpleanos, jackie!!!!

Discipleship, Christian community development. said...

hey jackie---we are excited for you and your new "etapa"!!! we will definitely keep you in prayer. All is well here in Costa Rica--can't wait to see you later in august--ps---i need help with our blog!!!! you inspire me!!

By God's grace and for His glory,
The Schwulst's

EMELY said...

Jackie!! Your room looks great. Miss ya and love you!!!

Jennifer Goodenough said...

I am so glad you are here. You are a great addition to our home. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us this summer!! Hold on, it could be a ceerrrazy ride!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie......Congratulations! I am really happy to hear you finally made it!! I will pray constantly for you, all of GO, and Hispaniola!

Peace

Clare said...

LOVE the brightness!!!! It looks like a happy house:) - Clare