Friday, August 1, 2008

Family in the Dominican Republic

My mom (Sheila), Zoraida, and Jahan

It is always encouraging when any of our missionaries have family visiting. In July my mom visited me along with two friends, Zoraida and Jahan. This was a special trip because they were here during the Eastview Youth Group with is a group unlike any other! I have never seen a group of youth with such passionate hearts to serve the Dominicans here.

While my mom and friends were working alongside Eastview, we had our own opportunities to visit with families here in the D.R. that I am particularly close with. They heard many insipiring stories of God's power in the lives of Nationals here.

Zoraida and Francie



Mary Luz, Sheila, Jackie, Guilbert, and Wenifer


Jahan and Jansel

One stood out in their mind. Fran. A Haitian. Fran traveled here to the Dominican Republic, in search for work and a better life. He found promise of that working for G.O. Ministries. He has been a faithful part of the construction team for over 4 years. He and his wife and three kids in a makeshift house in the back of a plantain field. They have no bathroom. They have no kitchen. Just one room seperated by sheets to make two "bedrooms." Fran and his wife sleep in one partioned area and the kids sleep in the other. In the field sits a burner where they make fry bread... their typical meal along with plantains from the field they live in.




Fran, Yvosse, Chantal, Francie, and Usula

After hearing Fran's story and prayer Zoraida and my mom made the decision to partner with Fran and his family, to welcome them into their family and encourage them through prayer, empower and equip them through financial support and resources.

This is what G.O. is all about.

I, of course, was happy that my mom was able to visit, but I was overjoyed when I saw how God's plan was beginning to unfold. How he chooses to use us to bring his glory here to earth.

Thanks mom and Zoraida for stepping out and choosing to be used by God to make a difference in someone else's life...




Fran, Francie, Yvosse, Sheila, Jahan, Usula, Chantal, and Zoraida

No comments: